Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Eastern Oregon





The highlight of the past few days has been how friendly people are to me. I stopped in a state park in Mt. Vernon after a great ride through cottonwood trees and wild rose bushes, the guy I shared the hiker/biker area with was pretty down on his luck. He was a homeless chainsaw carver even though he had virtually nothing he offered me food and a soda. It was nice to have company later. We were joined by a couple of young fellows training to be fire fighters. The next day I was headed for Sumpter OR a little gold mining town. There is very little along the way, there is one store at Austin Junction but it is closed on Tuesdays (the day I was passing by), I packed extra food accordingly.
As I was descending Dixie pass the first of three passes that day, I was stopped for construction along with a green Ford. The lady rolled down her window and informed me she owned the store in Austin Junction and she would open up if I needed anything. I stopped and had the best milkshake ever.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hey Josh!

So glad to finally find your blog site. I've been thinking about you peddling away every day - sounds like it's really been great (except for the snakes - yuck!). Congrats on making it to the next state - maybe today?? Look out Idaho - here comes Josh!
Still trying to work out if I can make it out to WY or CO - I'll call and see how your schedule is looking - seems like you're ahead by a day or two, no?
Love the photos and stories...keep it up!

Beth